Thursday, February 2, 2023

How to clean greasy scouring pads (Scotch-Brite and equivalent)

 I use scouring pads to clean pots and pans in the kitchen. They are like magnets for oil and grease which gets into them and won't come out with dish detergent. For a long time I was throwing them out when they became greasy but I didn't like the waste.

Today I discovered that a bit of caustic soda / sodium hydroxide removes the oil and grease very quickly and doesn't seem to damage the pads at all, leaving them clean and oil free.

Put a little cold water in a small pot. Add a little caustic soda - maybe half a teaspoon. Put in the pad and heat to a simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.

Be very careful with the caustic soda. It is a powerful chemical that can cause burns. Instructions say to add it to cold water, not hot. When it mixes with water, it produces a lot of heat. Instructions say NEVER ADD WATER TO CAUSTIC SODA. Always add caustic soda to cold water.

Fool that I am, I added the caustic soda to hot water. Only a little at a time. Each time, it boiled up. Good thing it was only a little. I'll start with cold water next time.

But almost immediately, I could see the oil and grease coming out of the pad. The water went dark with it. I left it to simmer for maybe 5 minutes, stirring it around a few times. Then I rinsed it out with lots of cold water before touching it.

Caustic soda is a strong base. It can burn you. Handle it carefully. Don't get it on your skin. Don't get water with too much caustic soda on your skin. Definitely don't let it splash in your eyes. Rinse with plenty of water.

 


No comments:

Labels